Monday, October 25, 2010

My Writing Tips

Usually when i have to write a long, dreaded paper, i have to follow my writing tips to get the paper finished. Luckily for you, you can read my tips and learn something from them, maybe ha.

My Tips

1. Research and learn what you are writing about. This is very helpful when you are writing a research paper or an Op-Ed. I usually spend at least a half hour reading up on what the topic of my paper is about.
2. Get prepared. Before I write a paper, I have a bullet point list of the topics I am going to write about. This helps me lay out the structure of the paper and gives me a little more confidence to start writing.
3. Take breaks. I know most of us hate huge incredibly long, well hated papers. Well unfortuanately, we have to write them sometimes. I honestly hate writing long papers, so I have to give up and walk away from the keyboard for a little while periodically. This helps me stay focused on the paper and the quality. If I stay at the keyboard, writing, my mind wonders off and i start writing papragraphs that dont even fit with the subject of the paper to begin with. Taking breaks is very helpful.
4. Rockstar. Thats right, Rockstar. Having an energy drink while writing keeps me focused and well, its freaking good.
5. Go Away. Get away from your crazy roommate, friends, or even family. Being in a quiet room is very helpful and keeps your mind fresh. I have to be by myself when writing or I will never get anything done.

6 comments:

  1. Taking breaks definitely does help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. coffee is a writer's best friend. that should have been one of my tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coffee puts me straight to sleep so I don't think that one will help. But getting away is brilliant. It really does help to keep focused if you have no distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always useful to know what you're writing about; good number 1

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to do number 3 all the time. Even when I am away from the computer I am usually still thinking about my paper and it gives me good ideas to put in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I forgot about stimulants!

    ReplyDelete